Follows the progress of an Australian Amateur boatbuilder building a 43ft Ted Brewer designed,steel Hulled cruising yacht.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Some of the big considerations in building a steel hull

Many people have asked me why I would build a steel hull as opposed to other choices such as fibreglass, wood or aluminium. I'll explain my reasoning on this choice. This is of course a question with no right and wrong, just whatever reasons make the most sense for the individual boat builder.

There's no doubt that wood is probably the most aesthetically pleasing medium and the nicest material to work with. The interior of a wood boat is also the most beautiful and traditional. However it is extremely labour intensive and good boatbuilding timbers here in my country have become scarce and expensive.

Fibreglass is easily the most popular material and really the only choice for production boats. It is also reasonably low maintenance but more difficult to fit out. Material costs can also be quite high for a one off builder.

My personal feeling is that the 2 metals - aluminium and steel are the best choices for the one off or custom boatbuilder. I actually think that aluminium is probably the ultimate choice for a cruising boat. It is light, very strong and highly corrosion resistant. On the downside it is expensive (though not as much more that it is a big issue), far more exacting to weld, it work hardens over time and welds create a zone with much reduced strength than the metal around them.

For me though steel was the best choice. I'm going to take my family on board with me. Steel is the strongest material and safest bar none. It is also much more forgiving when welding which was important. I can weld both aluminium and steel but felt my level of expertise with steel was sufficient to build a steel hull whereas with alloy I would have felt it necessary to employ a more experienced welder to help out. These guys cost around $30 an hour which adds up real quick.

A steel hull also comes together pretty fast compared to other hulls which helps keep costs down. My boat will be immensely strong, waterproof (fully welded deck) and seaworthy - I trust Ted Brewer's design experience.

Mitch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home