Follows the progress of an Australian Amateur boatbuilder building a 43ft Ted Brewer designed,steel Hulled cruising yacht.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Corrosion Protection

Perhaps the biggest demon that haunts all steel boats and boat builders is managing corrosion in steel boats. Everything I've heard and learnt is tells me that the best time to get on top of this problem is during construction. I'm taking the following steps
a) I'm building under cover at all times
b) ALL my steel is being pre blasted to white or near white metal state.
c) I've chosen an interesting pre weld primer from JOTUN marine paints called MUKI 2001 which is a 2 pack epoxy based, low zinc primer designed for excellent weld through capability. Importantly for me I wanted a product that could be left intact in the interior and overcoated with subsequent primer coats so that I didn't have to re blast the interior.
d) choose good products and use plenty of them - I won't spare when it comes to paining later - I will probably use Jotun products for the rest as they have a good reputation and great service near here.
e) Think about paint adhesion during the build process - no sharp edges, weep holes so water finds it's way to the bilge, stainless is areas of chafe eg chainplates, bow where chain from locker might rub.

I'm also investigating a paint from a US company called Delta T which is a spray on zinc that adheres to the paint and provides galnanic protection like hot dip galvanising. I can see that a product like this sprayed on the deck as a base coat then overcoated with a strong waterproofing layer would in theory be very effective.

I've just had all my work so far sandblasted and coated with Jotun Muki - so I'll post some photos shortly.

MP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home