Follows the progress of an Australian Amateur boatbuilder building a 43ft Ted Brewer designed,steel Hulled cruising yacht.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Mechanicals



I've already made decisions of my engine and gearbox combination. I have chosen an Isuzu 4JB1 67hp diesel with a PRM Newage Hydraulic gearbox with a reduction ratio of 2.9:1. She will spin a 22 inch 3 bladed prop, a 40 mm shaft and I'll use a dripless shaft seal.

I've given a lot of thought to going fixed prop versus feathering and decided that on day 1, I'll go fixed and see how it turns out. If my ship sails ok with the fixed prop I'll keep it but if I find it is degrading sailing performance to an unacceptable level I'll go down the expensive feathering prop path.

I've placed deposits on my engine and gearbox and will get them delivered in about 8 weeks. I want them both on hand to physically drop them into the hull when we are fitting them up so I avoid any chance of screw ups with these critical items.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home